THE SCIENCE BEHIND UV RAYS.
Learn more about mineral and organic filters.
MINERAL UV FILTERS
NIVEA SUN uses mineral UV filters like Titanium Dioxide in its sun protection products. Mineral UV filters reflect the sun‘s rays away from the skin like little mirrors.
ALL-ROUND UV PROTECTION
ORGANIC UV FILTERS
In addition, there are organic UV filters with protection mechanisms based on absorbing UV radiation. In this case, the harmful UV radiation is converted into harmless heat. To achieve high protection from both UVA and UVB radiation different UV filters are combined.
How to apply sunscreen
- Make sure you use enough: For an adult this is 30ml (2-3 tablespoons) per application.
- Put sunscreen on your main body parts first: each arm, your throat, face and neck region, and on your back, stomach and each leg.
- Distribute the sunscreen evenly on your skin and don‘t miss any part.
- Allow sunscreen to absorb completely before dressing.
We recommend that you reapply sun care products at least every two hours, especially after swimming, toweling off, and playing in the sand since these activities partially remove the sunscreen, which shortens the protection period.
- Don´t forget to use sunscreen on the so-called ‘sun terraces’ – the nose, ears, shoulders, and feet. Make sure you cover these areas with enough sunscreen.
How to ensure you don’t miss any areas of skin
4 ways sunscreen tends to wear off throughout the day
- Excessive sweating – whether you’re relaxing or running around, sweating can compromise your sun protection.
- Swimming – even if your sunscreen is water resistant, it still needs reapplying regularly.
- Friction from towel drying – when you dry off, you could be removing some of your sunscreen too.
- Tight or restrictive clothing – wear loose-fitting items to ensure sunscreen doesn’t transfer.